May 28, 2011

Happy Memorial Day!

The past month or so has been quite busy; I’ve been preoccupied with issues at work and helping a family member recover from surgery. Despite that, I have also been busy with occasional bursts of writing. I’ve been jumping among several different manuscripts, getting them done little by little.

These days though, I’ve started research and design for a story set in WWII. It's always been a fascinating subject; it's pretty incredible thinking about just how far-reaching the war was, how much intense conflict was involved, and how much was at stake. It had some of the darkest and most terrible moments in human history, and also some of the most valiant victories.

My interest in WWII has helped me on my first novel, Rider of the White Horse, which is currently being re-edited. I've also kick-started a new story which I'm calling Der Jaegermeister, which will focus on a rogue huntsman opposing German forces in the Black Forest. I'm still not sure just how fantastic this story will be (I suppose the premise itself takes a stretch of the imagination), but it'll be a thrilling story, I can tell already.

To help inspire myself, I've been playing lots of Wolfenstein on the PS3, and I've been revisiting some great WWII-themed movies. I probably will review them soon. ;-) Some diligent research is also being conducted, so I can hopefully create this story without it being total and unbelievable BS. My previous attempt at a WWII war story was rather weak, but perhaps this will work better as an adventure story.

This Memorial Day, I'm not sure what kind of time I will have, but I do hope to get some work done on this. It's probably the most appropriate focus for a holiday that's meant to commemorate our nation's war heroes. I am certainly grateful for the sacrifices of our soldiers throughout history, and I hope that their continuing service will prevent another sprawling conflict like WWII from happening ever again.

No comments:

Post a Comment