October 19, 2012

Author Notes: House of the Waxing Moon

Over the next few days, I will roll out my complete and current draft for my novelette House of the Waxing Moon.  It's a haunted house story I wrote in high school; here it is eleven years later, and I've finally taken the time to go through it and comb out all the grammatical and content errors (well, as much as I wanted to).  As one of my first ever stories, it was pretty hideous; I found one too many frivolous words being dispensed (too many words like "really," "simply," "just," and tons of transitional phrases), one too many issues where I flip-flopped between past and present tense, and one two many cases of bad or awkward wording.  I suppose my overall knowledge and style has evolved well past these initial efforts.

Even though I fixed a number of errors, I kept a lot of it the same.  It's pretty dry, and I daresay it borders on being lame at times.  I'm certain that if I wrote this story today, with my current skills and mindset, it would all be different; deeper characters, more breathing room, better descriptions, better logic, etc.  The best that can be said about this draft is that I tried to make it entertaining with its unique premise.

I let some people read this as I was writing it.  One girl told me that it gave her nightmares.  For a horror story, I think that means it's successful.  If you do go on to read this story, I hope you can forgive it of its adolescent flaws, and be entertained or scared by it.

Enter the House of the Waxing Moon, if you dare! Muahahaha!!!!
House of the Waxing Moon Chapters 1 - 7
House of the Waxing Moon Chapters 8 - 12

No comments:

Post a Comment