September 15, 2014

Film Review: Sin City: A Dame To Kill For

So there I was, late summer of '14, I was just cruising around and I decide to catch this flick while I was all hyped. Why not? I thought the first Sin City was ace, so if this second one had just more of the same, I'd be golden.

This sequel starts off kinda lousy, with a little ditty called Just Another Saturday Night. It pulls old Marv back into things (what the hell, I thought he was dead?). A bunch of stuff floats around the screen, Marv rambles on about beating up some punks. The film whips through all kinds of hoopla, before the main credits roll. I just hoped to God the whole thing didn't play as fast and loose as those first scenes.

Thankfully, it doesn't. The film settles down to a slower, more even pace. Hell, it almost seems to drag. But in my eyes, I like the way it unfolds and the film keeps me hooked, like the sultry serenade of a siren. The Long Bad Night kicks off, showing a hotshot kid trying to win big at a poker game with the high hats. That bit gets interrupted by the main feature, A Dame To Kill For; Dwight in his younger days gets played by a dame that everybody seems to fall for. I got to admit, I fell for her watching this picture; that Eva Green sure is one hell of a babe. She's a looker alright, with or without clothes, and I loved watching her whether she was nice or naughty. The story ends in a bloodbath, before going back to The Long Bad Night. I was digging it, but the ending was lousy. Then, we see Nancy's Last Dance, where little Nancy Callahan is all grown up and out for blood. That's a story I could take or leave, but I saw other reviews saying it just wasn't right.

So, the stories don't have all the same moxie as the first movie. There is some action, some blood, plenty of sexy dames, but it doesn't hit as hard. Some things between the two flicks don't match up right. But, I loved it all the same. The sequel keeps up the trend of showing tough guys and broads all caught up in the vices, the decadence, and the vicious cycles of Basin City, which feels more and more like some kind of expressionist hell. The tropes and cliches are all there, and there are familiar faces whether we like it or not. Vengeance, power, corruption, greed, lust, all the usual themes are there.

The film looks nice and slick. Can't say the visuals are as punchy as the first flick, but it looks to me like they took what they had and made it better; the color effects, the green-screen stuff, the transitions and comic-book type of look is as clean and sharp as ever. Editing ain't too bad, although the cutting of the stories could arguably be better. The players are alright: I could probably watch Eva Green playing this bit all day long. Josh Brolin gets a lot of crap, because of the prosthetics and because he has some big shoes to fill after Clive Owen, but I didn't mind him one bit. Micky Roarke seems to be having a ball. He gets crap for his prosthetics too, but once again, I don't see what the beef is. I like Bruce Willis, but for all the time he's in this picture, I wonder what the point is. Jessica Alba is alright. I didn't mind most everybody else: Joseph Gordon Levitt fits in good, Powers Booth is ace, Ray Liotta is fine and dandy, Christopher Lloyd does okay, and I was digging the Lady GaGa cameo. If I have a problem with anything, it's wondering what Stacey Keach is doing here, looking like a giant heap under all that prosthetic crap when he didn't do much of anything, and I miss Devon Aoki as deadly little Miho (Jamie Chung isn't doing much for me). This picture has some nice-looking sets, props, costumes, and other goods. Music is really swingin'.

So, it seems like lots of people have some kind of beef with the stories, the casting changes, the prosthetics, and God knows what else. I personally enjoyed the movie all the same. If you liked the first Sin City, then this should be worth checking out. Otherwise, don't bother.

4/5 (Entertainment: Good | Stories: Pretty Good | Film: Pretty Good)

No comments:

Post a Comment