March 5, 2016

Film: Al's Top Action / Adventure Films Honorable Mentions

Coming up next will be my top 100 list of favorite action and adventure movies! Woohoo! It's crazy that I never made this awesome list before!

I've been an action movie junkie for most of my life -- I have fond memories of watching a lot of the greats for the first time while growing up. I've seen quite a lot now, and it has gotten to the point where not every awesome film can make a top 100 list. It gets even more convoluted trying to figure out which films can be considered a "pure" action film, or if they're really thrillers in disguise (and a top 100 thrillers list is inevitable now). Then there are action-packed sci-fi movies, action-packed superhero movies, disaster movies...action in itself could warrant a top 1,000 list.

For the purposes of this list, I've consciously omitted movies about superheroes (although some comic-book adaptations remain) and disaster movies (which I figure could go on the thrillers list). Of what's left, these are the ones that I deeply considered, but didn't make the final list. They're still pretty cool and worth seeing in their own ways. Check them out, and in the meantime I'll be posting the top 100 list shortly!
--------------------
Aliens: Is often cited as one of the best action films. Personally, I feel it's long, borderline exhausting, borderline a horror/creature film, and pure sci-fi. I do love the film, but it's already represented on my list of favorite sci-fi, and it will be on my creature features list. As an action film...nah.

Bad Boys: Is a pretty fun buddy-cop film, but I feel its follow-up has bigger, better action, better style, and is more enjoyable and memorable.

Beverly Hills Cop 1, 2, 3: Fairly enjoyable mixes of comedy and thrills. Even though these films have been with me most of my life, I find that the first one comes off a little dry, the second one has good action but is not that memorable, and the third one is far more comedic. I decided that I didn't like any of them quite that much for this list.

Blade: Was pretty hip for its time, and the final fight scenes are awesome (bad SFX and all). Unfortunately, pacing has always been wonky in the film. The second one is easily the best of the lot.

Born to Fight: One of the more decent Thai martial arts movies. I remember it has good-looking fight scenes, but as for everything else, I barely remember much.

The Bourne Identity / Supremacy / Ultimatum: Never was a fan of these. The first film is not too terrible, but it does come off as a little stuffy to me. I may consider it for my list of thrillers. The second film has horrid camera work. I probably enjoyed the third the best. None of them really make the cut for me personally, and I barely even remember the fourth film.

Bullet Train: Deserves a mention because it shares much in common with another great action-movie classic: SpeedI was never sure if this Japanese film inspired it or not, but it has its share of thrills. My only complaint is that it drags at times, and it feels better suited for my list of thrillers.

Bullit: The famous car chase scene is good, yes. Everything else is rather slow and dry.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier: To me, this would qualify as an excellent pure action movie. It is awesome to watch, the plot is great, and the whole film feels like a grand political struggle. Captain America's heroics, the Falcon, and the Avengers tie-ins keeps it firmly rooted in superhero lore, and I'm compelled to treat it as such.

Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle: Has its moments, but it does come off as a little much and a little too over-the-top.

Dante's Peak: Easily my favorite movie about volcanoes. The model work was great for its time, and the film is just plain fun. As a natural disaster film, I decided it doesn't quite qualify for the list.

The Dark Knight: Superhero movie, or epic crime drama? This film has a little bit of everything, including an awesome car chase scene that made me consider it for the action movie list. Unfortunately, the bulk of the film strikes me as a better fit for a crime thriller list, and then I made the conscious decision to cut out superheroes completely. For what it's worth, this film is still one of my newer all-time favorites.

The Day After Tomorrow: As mentioned before, disaster movies have been deliberately left off. This one has its share of neat scenes and special effects, but it's not always that exciting.

Daylight: Had some incredible disaster scenes for its time, but most of the characters are utterly unlikable, and the film has some stupid moments in spite of that.

Diamonds Are Forever: Has a few good chase scenes, but also a lot of silliness. There are various other Bond movies I felt are better and more deserving of being listed.

Dirty Harry: Thrilling stuff, but not something I'd call "action-packed." As a police/crime thriller, it will be considered for my list of thrillers.

Dr. No: Doesn't have that much action. Will be listed on a list of favorite thrillers.

Enter the Dragon: Considered to be one of the best martial arts film by most fans. I do think it's the best one Bruce Lee stared in -- the man had some great fight moves and plenty of charisma in the role. Personally, I find the film rather cheesy, and I never grew to love it the way others have.

The Expendables 1, 2, 3: Because bringing together every action-movie star in three movies is as epic as they come. Why then won't I be listing them on my list? Because the first movie always fell a little short for me (choppy editing and camera work, barely tangible plot), and the third one came off as bland. I would have listed the second film, because I remember enjoying it the best, but I barely remember what happened.

The Fast and the Furious 6 and 7: All have pretty extreme amounts of action, to the point where logic and physics seem to evaporate completely. As enjoyable as they are, there's only one F&F film that I feel balances action and storytelling enough to make the list.

La Femme Nikita: I really enjoy this film, but the action in it is rather subdued compared to its characterizations and dramatic weight (and when compared to other Luc Besson films). I will probably put this on my thrillers list.

First Blood: A pretty good adaptation of the original novel, with plenty of thrilling chases and stuff, but it never felt like the all-out action extravaganza that the sequels are. I will probably consider this first Rambo movie for the thrillers list.

For Your Eyes Only: As much as I admire and appreciate the film, it's not the action that really sells it to me.

48 Hours: Never was a fan. There is amusing banter and action to be had, but the characters and their chemistry were never big standouts to me personally.

The French Connection: It's been years since I saw this gritty film. I remember thinking it was good, and the car chase was fun, but I'd prefer to list this as a thriller rather than an action film.

From Paris With Love: Originally considered it for the bottom of the list. Upon rewatching it, I found that the film did nothing for me, and thus hasn't held up that well.

From Russia With Love: Despite having an action-packed final act, this film still doesn't quite captivate me as others in the series. Will be considered on a list of favorite thrillers.

Golgo 13:  The Kowloon Assignment: I remember loving this film and all its violence and grit. Unfortunately, I can't say I remember that much about it, other than it felt cool. I decided that if Sonny Chiba was to be on the list, I enjoyed The Executioner more.

Gone in 60 Seconds (2000): Yeah, the car chases are neat, but the editing hampers the enjoyment. Best seen for the characters and their banter.

The Goonies: This has got to be the essential adventure film for all 80s kids, like me. Truth be told, I probably should have put it on the list for that reason alone. For the most part, I forgot, sorry. 

Grand Theft Auto: It's a crazy, silly, fast-moving car chase movie. Even though I enjoy the film a lot, it always felt pretty lightweight and insubstantial to me.

Hellboy: Kinda straddles of the lines of superhero, fantasy, and horror genres. Even though this and the second movie have lots of cool action, there are other lists this can be represented on (most notably, the upcoming top 100 creature features list).

Highlander: Will be listed on my list of fantasy movies. Action is great, but not quite enough for me to call it a great action movie per se.

I, Robot: With the wild car chase scene and lots of robot rebellion, this movie is a pretty fun action flick. However, I consider it way more sci-fi than pure action.

Ip Man:  A great martial arts film with superb fight scenes. In between the fighting, however, I feel it's much less of an action movie and more of a biopic drama.

Jurassic Park III: Was almost on the list, but decided to bump it off after a rewatch. I was always disappointed in the formulaic plot, dumb characters, and the ridiculous things that happen.

Jurassic World: Has lots of rip-roaring rampages and carnage, but it feels much more like a disaster movie than adventure, as the last three are. Will definitely be on a list of creature thrillers.

Kick-Ass: As much as I love and enjoy the film, it is straight-up superhero fare, and it's sure to be listed on a top 100 superhero movie list.

King Kong (1933):  Certainly a classic film with groundbreaking effects and techniques, and plenty of thrills. Personally, I don't think it's quite enough to qualify for the list -- I think the film drags a little a times. I favor the 2005 version more.

Last Action Hero: Has some great action and lots of great comedy. In fact, I probably will regard this as more of a comedy and will consider it for the comedy list. Action-movie-wise, this never had as much of an impact for me as other Schwarzenegger films.

Leon: The Professional: Has some cool action, but it's mostly a character-driven film. I consider it a better fit on the thrillers list.

Lethal Weapon 2: Highly enjoyable, maybe even moreso than the first film. However, I decided to give the edge to the first movie for its storyline/characters.

License to Kill: Probably the most brutal Bond film to date. There is plenty to love and enjoy about it, but as an action film, I feel it drags a bit at times.

Live and Let Die: Truth be told, there's only one Roger Moore Bond film I picked for the list. Even though his first film has a few big chases and fights, I always felt it was an oddball film.

Magnum Force: I remember enjoying this more than the first Dirty Harry, but I don't remember many of the specifics. When the time comes, I will have to revisit it and consider it for my thrillers list.

Minority Report: Has plenty of really great chases and fight scenes, but I feel it's more sci-fi and mystery than action.

Mission Impossible: The first M:I movie has a lot of great scenes, but I never felt that the sum of its parts was all that impressive. I will consider this for my top thrillers list, but as an action movie, I think it's a little lacking.

Mission Impossible II: Was lingering at the bottom of my list for a long while, but after a rewatch, I decided to cut it out completely. The experience has always been a mixed bag for me personally -- the extreme stylistic excesses are nutty, the plot's pretty standard, but the characters have their moments.

Mission Impossible:  Rogue Nation: The latest M:I movie has plenty of action and peril to make it a good action-movie experience. Unfortunately, I still favor the third and fourth movies more -- there are one or two issues with RN that I felt made its story a little wonky and underwhelming.

The Mummy:  Tomb of the Dragon Emperor:  I was never as enamored by this film as I was with the previous ones. Some of the action, SFX, settings, and mythology are cool, some of it isn't. Above all though, I wasn't completely sold on what they did to the characters and story.

National Treasure 1 and 2: These are good, wholesome adventure flicks worthy of a mention. Upon revisiting them, I found myself a little less enamored -- the levels of tension and danger aren't quite as elevated as they are in other treasure-hunting films. In the end, it felt to me like they had too little action to qualify for the list.

Never Say Never Again: Has some neat fight and chase scenes, but this bizarre James Bond knockoff movie doesn't offer much originality.

North By Northwest:  Action movie? Political thriller? Personally, I'm classifying it as the latter -- even with all the exciting chase scenes, it is a film built more on mystery and intrigue than actual running.

Now You See Me: An enjoyable and unique heist film, not sure if I'd call it action though. I don't even know what I'd call it. It's like showmanship more than anything.

On Her Majesty's Secret Service: I originally hated this film for its wonky editing and action, but grew to love its story and how punchy it is. It's actually a good adaptation of the original novel. I still consider it a mixed bag, and it's not always that exciting of a movie.

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides: Fairly enjoyable, but mostly forgettable. The original three will always be the best for me personally (unless the upcoming fifth one is miraculously better).

The Road Warrior: I've heard this film cited as an action movie masterpiece, but in this day and age, I think it's been supplanted by an even bigger and better Mad Max film. As for this original film, I'll continue to rank it pretty significantly on my list of favorite sci-fi.

Sahara: Might be the closest we'll ever get to a proper adaptation of a Clive Cussler novel. It's a pretty fun film -- maybe not a perfect adaptation of the novel, but it has its heart in the right place. Didn't make the list because I just didn't feel strongly enough about it to make room for it.

San Andreas: This silly film probably has some of the most hard-hitting disaster scenes of them all. It's pure and ridiculous disaster movie fare, which I decided not to represent on the list, but it deserves props for its playfulness and its epic mass destruction.

Shooter: I remember it's pretty good, but I don't remember much else about it.

Smokin' Aces: I barely remember it, sorry.

The Spy Who Loved Me: As big and enjoyable of a Bond movie as they come, but the experience was never totally even or great to me. It falls a little flat in my opinion.

Stealth: I never could love this film as much as I wanted too. Futuristic airplanes in combat are great, but the film comes off as pretty shallow, silly, and way too erratic.

Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines: Silly, but enjoyable, with an awesome car chase scene and lots of fights. I consider it more sci-fi than straight-up action though.

300: This historic fantasy is pretty much all fighting, and probably could have been listed as an action film. With its setting and aesthetics, I felt it's more fitting on a list of favorite fantasy films, or possibly favorite historic epics.

Thunderball: Has a pretty awesome underwater battle scene, lots of fights, but it does drag sometimes. Will be considered for my list of thrillers.

Tomb Raider: Always was a mixed bag for me. I wanted to like its adventurism, its settings, its action, but a lot of it comes off as excessive and shallow. You could seriously cut out all the action in the movie, and the story wouldn't be affected much. That doesn't really bode well for a good action movie -- I think the sequel is much better.

Twister: Like other disaster flicks mentioned, I had to bump this one off the list. I do think it's a great, fun flick, but I find it hard to quantify it as action when it's mostly a man-vs-nature battle. It does have a great sense of adventure though, making this worthy of a mention.

2012: Probably as overblown and ridiculous as a disaster movie can get. Can't say the characters or plot are all that endearing though.

Transformers 1, 2, 3: Action doesn't get much bigger or explosive than these films, and I probably should have listed them for their sheer amount of pyrotechnics, stunts, and special effects. I always considered them sci-fi movies, but the science if rather slight. In the end though, these are pretty brainless films, and I feel that the other movies I picked are much more dignified.

Under Siege 2: Dark Territory:  Stupidly enjoyable, but extremely shallow. Watch the first movie instead.

Van Helsing: I consider this quite the big adventure film. So big in fact, it comes off as cheesy, silly, and shallow. Also, with all the Universal monsters on show, it's better suited for the creature features list.

A View To a Kill: Fairly enjoyable, especially with the final blimp scenes, but the film has some drag to it.

The World Is Not Enough: Loved it when it came out, but in time I realized that it is a rather bland film. I admire some things about it, but there is better action in the other Bond films.

You Only Live Twice: Has some cool stuff in it, but the action always felt pedestrian to me, and the film overall is lightweight. Not even close to the original novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment