August 3, 2011

It (finally) ended!

I must first apologize for not posting this sooner. Half a month has passed since I saw this, but I've been too busy to properly edit and post this review. By now, the hype has undoubtedly died. But anyway...

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part II

Ever since Harry Potter’s introduction some ten years ago, I’ve always been eager to see how this finale would turn out (I am a big sucker for grand finales). After ten or so somber minutes of recapping the last film, this last hurrah starts off strong as the characters infiltrate a magical vault, before moving along to the ultimate Battle of Hogwarts. As far as finales go, I wouldn’t dare rank the Hogwarts battle over my other favorite scenes. Even though it takes up over twenty minutes of screen time, something about the final battle didn’t really strike me as exceptional; I suspect it’s because the actual fighting is subdued to the background, with no real sense of progression, variety, or true peril. But after some sporadic bursts of fighting and mystery, the film finally gets into the final duel between Potter and Voldemort, which is pretty damn cool. There are also a number of other epic moments in the film that’ll keep it lively, and will enthrall most diehard fans. I felt there could have been a bigger punch, and there are just a few scenes that drag, but what we get is satisfying.

The story is ultimately tied together quite well, combing up all the elements, characters, and events of the last several films for some final revelations and a decent conclusion. Some scenes may not make sense to casual fans or those who are unfamiliar with the books. The characters are as strong as ever, and with an overt theme of duality, I have found most of it very intriguing.

The film shows fine photography and editing. Some scenes look made for 3D, but are never overly-gimmicky. Acting is as strong as ever, save for maybe one or two cheesy moments, but I was quite impressed with Emma Watson’s mad ability to mirror Helen Bonham Carter so well! I have no complaints about the writing. Production value looks strong, with plenty of solid sets, props, costumes, and wonderful special effects. Music is pretty decent (and often echoes John Williams’ original theme from the first couple of films).

Recommended, especially for fans of the series.

4/5 (Entertainment: 4/5, Story: 4.5/5, Film: 4/5)

No comments:

Post a Comment