July 4, 2012

Happy 4th of July!

Woohoo, it’s Independence Day! That means I have a free day off! What could I do today? I could watch the movie Independence Day on Independence Day for the trillionth time.  Perhaps I could do some actual writing today.  Perhaps I could devote all my time into a single video game (the first [Prototype] game has been the focus of my gaming energy lately).  I could even venture outside of the house and actually go wherever I want to (and potentially expose my nerdy self to fresh air and sunshine)!

Well, my day is actually sizing up to be uneventful.  It’s a rather bleak and dreary day, so travel and exploration wouldn’t be all that great today.  I’m just as happy spending a day indoors though, to rest and relax, especially after two weeks’ worth of tiresome work in the office.  What’s important is that the freedom of choice is always available, not just today, but every day because of what happened some two hundred years ago.  Thanks to the struggle, the bloodshed, and the sacrifices made during the American Revolution, we Americans are all free from oppression, and we have the freedom to do and say what we please.  If things were different (and there’s always the frightening chance that things will be different in the future), we could all be in bondage to some corrupt, tyrannical system of government.  I’m always grateful that the American Republic has prevailed for so long, holding back the threat of oppression, thanks to the efforts of America’s founding fathers, and all the soldiers of history who have fought to protect the country.

Feeling gratified in spite of all this, I spent some time this morning to vote in the Primary Elections.  It’s rather time-consuming to comb through the candidates, searching for the ones who seem like they would do good, and avoiding the flakes.  Although voting is what gives the public its power, I felt more gratified in my voting than powerful; it feels like I’m another part of something larger, one voice in a crowd of millions, which could guide the future of the nation.

There will probably be no greater decision to be made than what will come in the Presidential Elections coming this year.  Such will likely impact the future of the country with massive repercussions.  When that election comes around, I will certainly be adding my voice into the chorus of millions.

Well, I feel that I’ve rambled on about random stuff for long enough.  For now, I’m off to gorge myself at a cookout, watch some endearing American cinema, and possibly do some writing.

God bless America!

1 comment:

  1. God bless America! Long may our banner of freedom wave and help other nations to strive for the same. I am looking forward to making my vote count as well, and find any woman who throws away that freedom today a slap in the face of those women who suffered long ago to have that same freedom as men in our country.

    ReplyDelete