December 31, 2023

Happy New Year 2024!

For about fourteen months, I've lived in Germany for the third time in my life (second time as an adult). My life here has felt wildly different than the lives I lived in Georgia and Utah. I had forgotten how different Europe in general is--it's not that the place is completely alien to me, but there are hundreds of small, subtle differences that sets its far apart from America. The cities are more ornate. Streets are smaller. Highway traffic is more ordered. Pedestrians and bicyclists are everywhere. Trains are more ubiquitous. You have to put in the effort to separate your garbage accurately. I find some things more desirable here, but there are things to miss about the States as well. I wouldn't say one place is necessarily better than the other, it's just different.

I took the job here with great uncertainty--managing a motorpool is an area of logistics I had rarely become involved with, and it carries its own sets of pressures and expectations. Thankfully, it's never been as heavy as I've experienced with other positions. Part of this could be related to the different people I work with and the nature of the location, but I think I've changed my attitude in a way that makes this business more conductive. As I've seen other personnel antagonize others with negativity and attitude and burn their own bridges, I understand that we all reap what we sow. Attitude can impact any interaction for the better or for the worst, and keeping these interactions positive has led to greater successes. I found that letting certain things go--things like anger, irritation, or fear--has helped make my life more harmonious. I could stand to embrace other practices, like meditation and gratitude, a little more to maintain the right state of mind.

Outside of work, I made the time for a little travel. Biggest highlights this year was visiting my parents in South Carolina, where we went on a drive to the Outer Banks and visited the town of Manteo. In Europe, I had a trip to the Netherlands to see Amsterdam, Volendam, and Zaanse Schans. In touring these places, I had the chance to sample authentic gouda cheese, see how clogs were made, see windmills, and in Amsterdam, I took a boat ride in the canals. More importantly though, I visited the Keukenhof to see the countless tulips in bloom. It was an explosion of color. In the summer, I took a drive to see  Castle Eltz, and even took a tour to see its interior and hear about some of its history. On the drive back, I walked around the towns of Boppard and Bacharach. On sporadic occasions, I would visit the towns of Mainz, Wiesbaden, Rudesheim, Bingen, and Eltville for photos. There were occasional fests as well.

Time flew by as I settled into this location and became accustomed to a new routine. Now that one of our long-standing employees has gone, I expect our workplace to change substantially in the coming months. It might mean more work and running around for me. But while that prospect would have made me anxious before, I find myself at ease more. My confidence stems from knowing and understanding the processes we have to complete the work.

What I need to do in the coming year is to do more--not only in the work that's needed, but also in regards to my goals. Every year I fret about working out, dieting, changing personal habits, reading and writing more. The issue in the end is that I've failed to take action on many of these aspects. For one reason or another, I lose motivation and fill my time with hollow, time-wasting pursuits. If I have any resolution this year, it will be to make the most of my time. I don't want to spent too much time being idle any more, especially knowing that I've been far less idle years ago. My goal this year is to become as productive as I used to be through proactive action.

In the coming year, I expect to take at least a couple of trips--one will be to Venice to see Carnivale, and in a couple more months, I'll visit my parents again in the States. Chances are strong I'll find more sights to visit within Germany in the summer. 2024 could be an exciting and fulfilling year--it's just a matter of taking action and following through.

No comments:

Post a Comment