July 6, 2013

Film Review: The Lone Ranger (2013)

"There come a time, when good man must wear mask." - Johnny Depp 

I am not a fan of westerns, not by a long shot. What few I like are a very specific few, but most strike me as being long, dry, and boring. I certainly never gave a flying rip about The Lone Ranger. Sure, I recognize the references that have permeated in modern pop culture over the decades; we all know of the mask, the horse named Silver, the Indian dude, and the William Tell overture. For whatever reason, I never had an interest in the franchise, until now.

As it stands, 2013's The Lone Ranger is easily one of the most exciting and evenly-entertaining westerns I've seen. It has big action, often venturing into realms of big-scale absurdity that's become commonplace in modern blockbusters. It has comedy; the interplay between the Ranger and Tanto is often amusing, and fills up the spaces between the action really well.  Despite the comedy, the film is also pretty gritty and rough:  there is a fairly high body count in this film, and it often pushes the boundaries of its PG-13 rating.  Overall, it's a long feature, but I was engrossed in it the whole time.

I was equally engrossed in the story. It gets a little wonky, given the unique narrative structure; this is one of those stories that's bookended by a character telling a story, with asides, flashbacks, and flashforwards at key moments.  A few scenes are made a little sloppy this way, and a few pressing questions remain unanswered (how did Tanto get out of jail?). The film also gets predictable at times, and the standard western elements are dispensed liberally throughout. However, I still felt that this was a dense and well-built plot. I'm especially pleased with the characters; they are colorful and fun, but also show enough depth and emotion to make them memorable and relevant.  The standard western themes of justice and civility pop up on occasion.

This film uses some fantastic photography. Editing is okay, but a few scenes seem to be slapped together lazily. Acting is good: I thoroughly enjoyed the performances of Armie Hammer (who does his best to embody the look and mannerisms of the title character), Johnny Depp (who channels the same deadpan lunacy that made Jack Sparrow so fun), and everybody else. Writing is pretty decent. This production has great-looking sets, props, and costumes. Music is generally good, and toward the end, the William Tell overture is utilized liberally.

A lot of viewers and critics don't seem to like this film, but I really don't see that much wrong with it. I feel it does to westerns what Pirates of the Caribbean did to pirate movies; it's an exciting, refreshing piece of tall-tale escapism.  For a western, I am especially pleased.

4.5/5 (Entertainment: Very Good | Story: Good | Film: Very Good)

1 comment:

  1. That's all we want in a movie, isn't it? To be fun and entertaining and still have a plot to it. After reading your piece here, I will have to go see it. When I was a child, they showed reruns of the Lone Ranger on TV and I remember it being funny at times and full of action. This is what apeals to me, not the foul language and the graphic "body count" as you put it.

    ReplyDelete